With the first pick in the Drum Corps Fantasy Draft General F. Fect Drum Corps selects…
Artistic Director/Program Coordinator
The first pick of any draft is meant to set the cornerstone of your program. This person leads the entire staff in the construction and design of the show. The artistic director/program coordinator is ultimately responsible for the final product and there are few that I would trust more with that responsibility than Michael Gaines, an inductee into both the WGI and DCI Hall of Fames.
I know a lot of you who follow me are not one bit surprised by this pick. Nor should it be. I first fell in love with Gaines approach and style back in the early 90’s when he started an independent winter guard named Escapade, a group I continue to admire to this very day.
Need more convincing? Success has followed him where ever you look. DCI. WGI. BOA. You name it. Here is just a sample of his resume:
- We just witnessed the greatest show that has ever stepped foot on a DCI field with Babylon. I still defy anyone to prove otherwise. It is no accident that it was Gaines first year as Artistic Director and what SCV accomplished in 2018.
- He was a member of the design staff for all 7 of The Cavaliers World Championship titles. In over a decade writing drill for The Cavaliers, the corps won 5 World Championships and had an average placement of… 2nd.
- He was also involved with Carmel High School Marching Band who, oh by the way, just won Bands of America – again.
- He has worked with numerous programs in WGI, particularly with Pride of Cincinnati who has won multiple championships in WGI. If you want a real treat of his work indoor check out Escapade’s The Doors; Hydrogen Jukebox (both some of my all time favorites). Pride of Cincinnati’s Alcatraz, and it would be a total failure not to mention one of the greatest shows to ever grace a WGI floor Everybody Hurts
- He has helped create some of the most iconic, innovative and thrilling shows in DCI including shows like Niagara Falls (2000); Four Corners (2001); Frameworks (2002); Machine (2006) and, naturally, Babylon (2018).
Gaines designs are always exploring. They are always pushing the boundaries for what is possible in pageantry. However, they are always balanced and well thought out. He is arguably the best designer in the activity and that is the kinda guy you want leading your program.
The second pick in the draft coming Monday!